Climate and average monthly weather in Oslo, Norway
Many people picture Oslo as being a cold place to visit, but Oslo's temperatures are rather moderate for a city located as far north as it is. The average winter temperature in Oslo is only about minus 4 degrees Celsius (around 23 °Fahrenheit), which is a bit warmer than the winter temperatures of most American and some European cities. Visitors however should be prepared for frost from late October until late March/early April. Only occasionally there is deep frost below minus 15 °C (4 °F).
During summer Oslo is pleasantly warm. Occasionally Oslo experience heat waves from May to August with temperatures up to 33 degrees Celsius (over 90 °Fahrenheit). Oslo is not particularly rainy, but rain is seen throughout the year.
What is the best time of year to go to Oslo in Norway? Here are some average weather facts we collected from our historical climate data:
- During the month of July and August you are most likely to experience good weather with pleasant average temperatures that fall between 20 degrees Celsius (68°F) and 25 degrees Celsius (77°F).
- The months July, August, September, October and November have a high chance of precipitation.
- The coldest season / winter is in the months January, February and December.
- On average, the warmest month is July.
- On average, the coolest month is January.
- September is the wettest month. This month should be avoided if you are not a big fan of rain.
- February is the driest month.
For more information, see the weather forecast and our average climate information (by month in graphs) in a beautiful overview below.
Average minimum and maximum temperature over the year
The monthly mean minimum and maximum daily temperature. Show in Fahrenheit
Average water temperature over the year
The monthly mean water temperature. Show in Fahrenheit
Average monthly precipitation over the year (rainfall, snow)
This is the mean monthly precipitation, including rain, snow, hail etc. Show in Inches
Average monthly rainy days over the year
This is the number of days each month with rain, snow, hail etc.