The most beautiful fishing village of Italy
Portofino is the most beautiful fishing village in Italy and maybe even in the world. Here you will find the Italian and worldwide jetset with their snow-white luxury yachts spending their holidays. Fortunately, even as a non-celebrity it is wonderful to spend some days here. Besides being atmospheric and picturesque, it is also a super romantic town. We absolutely recommend that you add this beautiful place to your bucket list.Portofino is a small lace on the Italian Riviera, located in the province of Genoa. It is hidden in a cove on the Ligurian coast and consists of only a few streets and a small harbor. Around this town you see steep green mountains and the blue sea seems to be everywhere. The rhythm is still very relaxed here, especially early in the season. In summer months a huge number of people visit this seaside town with only 600 residents and in this season it is full of tourists (July and August).
What to do in Portofino.
- Under the leafy trees above the terraces of bars and restaurants in the harbor and among the oleanders, palm trees, bougainvilleas, you can enjoy delicious beer or champagne with caviar, depending on the thickness of your wallet.
- At the harbor you can also take a ferry every hour to the medieval monastery of San Fruttuoso and to the seaside towns of Santa Margherita Ligure and Rapallo.
- Take a ferry to the monastery and to Rapallo.
- If you enjoy hiking and walking you can walk along the high coast to San Fruttuoso.
- In the port of Portofino you can rent a boat or kayak to sail along the Mediterranean coast.
The village was founded by the Romans who would have named it Portus Delphini. This means: city of the dolphins. This is because of the large numbers of dolphins that swam around here in the past. Even now you can still spot a dolphin regularly.
Best time to visit
We recommend to visit Portofino in spring (April-June) or autumn (September-November). The weather is very pleasant and you will avoid the huge crowds. April and November can still be a bit chilly but will also be much quieter and more affordable. Click here for more average weather details in Portofino.
A sustainable way to get thereIf you are travelling in Europe you might want to consider taking the train. It feels good to travel overland instead of flying, this is a perfect way to reduce your footprint. We made a deal with ourselves to travel as conscious as possible. It is now possible travelling through Europe by train and get a Eurail Global Pass. You can travel freely and flexibly across Europe 33 countries with 1 rail pass.
Where to stay
We recommend to stay at the mansarda Portofino apartment. The location is perfect, right on the harbor and the place is super charming. You have nice views from all sides and the air conditioning is very useful if you go in summer. This apartment is also relatively cheap compared to the other accommodation. On booking.com they this apartment gets an average rating of 9.1.